This webpage is for archival purposes only. It is no longer being maintained. Please see our new website at http://lib.berkeley.edu/EART
This well preserved 19th Century globe is believed to have been purchased new in 1897 by Professor Andrew Cowper Lawson of the Geology Department. Although undated, the geography on this globe strongly suggests that it was made between 1895-1897. The only identifying markings are a label pasted under Alaska with the following inscription:
W. & A.K. Johnston were among the foremost globe makers in Great Britain during the latter half of the 19th century. This is an example of their largest size globe, measuring 30 inches in diameter. The ornate oak globe stand is most likely American-made and has a striking resemblance to globe stands sold by a Chicago firm known successively as "Holbrook", "A.H. Andrews & Co.", "C.F.Weber" and "Weber Costello."